The unsteady viscous compressible boundary layer fluid flow past a semi-infinite vertical porous plate surrounded in a porous medium with induced magnetic field has been studied numerically. The governing non-linear coupled partial differential equations have been transformed by using usual transformations. The obtained non-linear dimensionless coupled partial differential equations have been solved numerically. The explicit finite difference method is used as solution technique and MATLAB software is used as a secondary tool. The obtained results for the density, velocity, induced magnetic field as well as temperature distributions are shown graphically.
MHD, Porous medium, Induced magnetic field, Finite difference method, Heat transfer.
1. M.M. Alam, M.D. Hossain, M.A. Samad, MHD free convection and mass transfer flow through a vertical oscillatory porous plate in a rotating porous medium with hall, ion-slip currents and heat source, 2016, AMSE journals –Series: Modelling B, Vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 28-42.
2. M.M. Alam, R. Pervin, Fluid flow through parallel plates in the presence of hall current with inclined magnetic field in a rotating system, 2015, AMSE journals –Series: Modelling B, Vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 49-68.
3. M.M. Alam, A. Quader, Effects of hall current and viscous dissipation on MHD free convection fluid flow in a rotating system, 2015, AMSE journals –Series: Modelling B, Vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 110-128.
4. M.M. Alam, M.M. Rahman, M.A. Samad, Dufour and soret effects on unsteady MHD Free convection and mass transfer flow past a vertical porous medium, 2006, Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, vol. 11, pp. 217-226.
5. M.M. Alam, M.A. Sattar, Transient MHD heat and mass transfer flow with thermal diffusion in a rotating system, 1999, Journal of Energy, Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 9-21.
6. M.S. Alam, M.M. Rahman, M.A. Samad, Numerical study of the combined free forced convection and mass transfer flow past a vertical porous plate in a porous medium with heat generation and thermal diffusion, 2006, Nonlinear analysis: Modeling and Control, vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 331–343.
7. Chen, Combined heat and mass transfer in MHD free convection from a vertical surface with Ohmic heating and viscous dissipation, 2004, International Journal of Engineering and Science, vol. 42, pp. 699-713.
8. A. Islam, M.M. Islam, M. Rahman, L.E. Ali, M.S. Khan, Unsteady heat transform of viscous incompressible boundary layer fluid flow through a porous plate with induced magnetic field, 2016, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, vol. 4, pp. 294-306.
9. N.G. Kafoussias, MHD thermal-diffusion effects on free-convective and mass transfer flow over an infinite vertical moving plate, 1991, Astrophysics and Space Science, Springer, Vol. 192, pp. 11-19.
10. B.C. Sakiadis, Boundary layer behavior on continuous solid surfaces: Boundary layer equations for two dimensional and axisymmetric flow, 1961, American Institution of Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 7, pp. 26-28.
11. V.M. Soundalgekar, T.V.R. Murty, Heat transfer in flow past a continuous moving plate with variable temperature, 1980, Wärme - und Stoffübertragung, Springer, vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 91–93.