Aiming at effectively identifying the different particle sizes of single particles of the same kind and eliminating the interference of redundant and noise components in the light scattering signals, this paper puts forward a single particle size detection method by processing the light scattering signals of particles with blind source separation. As shown in the test results, the research object, a single-spherical PTFE pellet (4μm in particle size), contains noise and redundant angular intensity scattering signals. The scattering signals are decomposed into by empirical mode 8 components, which respectively serve as the virtual multi-source signals for blind source separation. The redundant noises in different channels are removed by the ICA algorithm to produce the noiseless and non-redundant light scattering signals. Such signals bear the information on the type of particles, and provide a reliable signal source for further, accurate measurement of particle size. It is demonstrated in the simulation experiment and the engineering example that the blind source separation method not only applies to identification of signal source, but also reduces the noise, improves the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of the signal, and suppresses the interference in the light scattering signals from redundant and nose components.
light scattering, blind source separation, particle size
1. X.G Sun, H. Tang, J. Dai, Retrieval of particle size distribution in the dependent model using the moment method, 2007, Opt. Express, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 11507-11516.
2. D. Rosskamp, F. Truffer, S. Bolay, and M. Geiser, Forward scattering measurement device with a high angular resolution, 2007, Opt. Express, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2683-2690.
3. A.K. Ray, A. Souyri, E.J. Davis, and T.M. Allen, Precision of light scattering techniques for measuring optical parameters of microspheres, 1991, Applies Optics, vol. 30, no. 27, pp. 3974–3983.
4. W. Liang, Y. Xu, Y.Y. Huang, A. Yariv, J.G. Fleming, and S.W. Yu, Mie scattering analysis of spherical Bragg "onion" resonators,2004, Opt. Express, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 657-669 2004.
5. J.B Renard, C.Thaury, J.L Mineau and B. Gaubicher. Small-angle light scattering by airborne particulates_ Environnement S.A. continuous particulate monitor, 2010, MEASUREMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1-10.
6. W.P Adamczyk, A. Szlęk, A. Klimanek, R.A Białecki, G. Węcel, A. Katelbach-Wozniak, S. Sładek, M. Ditaranto, N.E.L Haugen. Visualization system for the measurement of size and sphericity of char particles under combustion conditions, 2016, Powder Technology, vol. 301, 141-52.
7. M.R Armstrong, S. Senthilnathan, C.J Balzer, B. Shan, L. Chen, B. Mu. Particle size studies to reveal crystallization mechanisms of the metal organic framework HKUST-1 during sonochemical synthesis. 2017, Ultrason Sonochem, vol. 34, pp. 365-70.
8. P. Comon, C. Jutten. Handbook of Blind Source Separation: Independent component analysis and applications. 2010: Academic press. pp. 1-54.
9. G. Gelle, M. Colas, and G. Delaunay. Blind sources separation applied to rotating machines monitoring by acoustical and vibrations analysis, 2000, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 427-442.
10. C. Salustri, G. Barbati, and C. Porcaro. Fetal magnetocardiographic signals extracted by'signal subspace' blind source separation, 2005, IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1140-2.
11. H. Snoussi, S. Khanna, D. Hewson, J. Duchene, Number of sources uncertainty in blind sourceseparation. Application to EMG signal processing, 2007, Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, pp. 6516-9.
12. V. Zarzoso, P. Comon. Robust independent component analysis for blind source separation and extraction with application in electrocardiography, 2008, Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, pp. 3344-7.
13. C. Jutten, J. Herault. Blind separation of sources, Part 1: An adaptive algorithm based onneuromimetic structure, 1991, Signal Processing, vol. 24, pp. 1-10.
14. L.M Shermann, and G. Alessandro, High-resolution size measurement of single spherical particles with a fast Fourier transform of the angular scattering intensity, 1996, APPLIED OPTICS, vol. 35, no. 24, pp. 4919-4926.
15. W.D. Dick , P.J. Ziemann & P.H. McMurry, Multiangle Light-Scattering Measurements of Refractive Index of Submicron Atmospheric Particles, 2007, Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 549–569.